Waxing All you need to know.
What is Waxing:
Waxing is a process of hair removal that uses a sticky substance, such as wax, to adhere to the body hair, and removing this covering and pulling out the hair from the follicle.
Who is it for:
Regular waxing benefits those with coarse, unruly hair or those prone to ingrowns because it weakens the follicle and its ability to produce hair. Even if you don’t have one of these hair types, you can really benefit from the last results of waxing.
- Do not shave or trim for at least 3-4 weeks to ensure your hair is long enough to be waxed. For facial waxing, hair should be 1/8-inch long and body hair should be about 1/4-inch long to 1/2-inch long to achieve a smooth, clean removal. It should be about the length of a grain of rice or longer. If you are currently waxing, wait at least 2-4 weeks (from last wax) to book an appointment for facial waxing and 3-6 weeks for body waxing.
- Exfoliate your skin 1-2 days before your appointment. This helps the wax to better grip the hair and helps prevent the wax from sticking and possibly lifting your skin.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before your appointment. Caffeine and alcohol are stimulants and can increase sensitivity.
- No tanning for 24 hours before your appointment. This includes sun and salon tanning. Waxing has an exfoliating effect on the skin and can increase sensitivity and make you more susceptible to sunburn.
- If you have recently had a chemical peel or microdermabrasion, you need to wait 7 days before waxing.
- Any area with sunburn, irritated areas, or open skin will not be waxed.
- Moles will not be waxed over, but they can be waxed around.
- When you come to your appointment, make sure that the area being waxed is clean. If the area is not clean, when the hair is pulled out of the follicle from waxing, bacteria can spread. Also, when the area is clean, it allows for an easy removal of the hair.
- It is recommended to wear loose clothing to your appointment.
If you use any of the following products please let us know. These products can make skin thin and more sensitive to waxing which can result in lifting and extra sensitivity.
- Acne medication (Accutane, Differin, Isotretinoin) – Must be off for at least 1 year
- Retin A (or any products containing it or retinol)
- Bleaching agents for skin (Hydraquinone)
- Chemical depilatories (Nair)
- Benzoyl Peroxide (Proactive)
- High percentages of alpha hydroxy acids (Lactic, glycolic)
- Topical or oral antibiotics
Post Treatment Care:
- No sun or tanning for at least 48 hours after your service. Since waxing is a form of exfoliation, it could increase your risk for sunburn.
- No extreme heat for 24 hours; it could cause irritation and sensitivity.
- No gym or sex for 24 hours. Sweat and friction makes your body more susceptible to outside bacteria that can potentially cause an infection, bumps, or more sensitivity.
- Wear loose clothing for up to 24 hours after.
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! This is the step you do not want to miss. You’re paying for the area to look good, so let’s keep it that way! Exfoliating is going to help prevent unsightly ingrown hairs and bumps. After waxing, dead skin can build up and trap hairs. This prevents the hairs from growing out. Instead they grow back into the skin which results in bumps and redness. Use a chemical or physical exfoliant every day to help eat away at dead skin cells and keep the area smooth. Wait at least two days after waxing to start exfoliating.
- Be sure to moisturize your skin. This helps keep skin healthy and helps the wax remove the hair easier.
- Do not shave between appointments. We will work to get your hair in a good growth pattern and shaving can disrupt that.
What To Expect After Treatment:
- Your skin could stay red and tender anywhere from 30 minutes to 48 hours after your service.
- You may experience bumps or pimples. Don’t panic! These are temporary and will fade within 72 hours.
- Come back every 2-6 weeks! Waxing consistently makes your hair grow back finer, softer, and not as quickly. Plus, when you miss appointments you will be giving your hair roots time to thicken back up and this is what causes pain when removing the hair. Stay on schedule with your hair removal services and waxing will get very easy and almost painless!
Before & After Photos
“I have been coming to see Trina now for years and she makes you feel comfortable, seen and her treatments yield wonderful results. Her staff is warm & friendly, and I would highly recommend visiting her for any of your medical or aesthetic services.”