IPL Skin Treatment All you need to know.
What is IPL Skin Treatment:
An IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment is a photofacial, light-emitting device precisely calibrated to target specific skin concerns or to deliver comprehensive full-face rejuvenation.
When the pulses of light emitted by this device are absorbed by the melanin (pigment) and red blood cells in the skin, heat is generated. This heat emulates a superficial injury, but unlike a burn, it won’t cause any lasting damage. The IPL device is designed to activate the skin’s natural healing processes without actually harming delicate dermal tissue. IPL therapy should not cause scarring, infection, or other complications when administered by a qualified professional.
As your skin attempts to repair itself, it will shed its dull, damaged outer layer and form supple, vibrant new skin. During this process, skin-firming proteins (like collagen and elastin) are produced in abundance, mitigating some of the effects of age-related collagen loss. The light emitted during IPL therapy also breaks down the dark pigment inside age spots and freckles, creating a more even skin coloration.
The sessions are quicker than with other methods.
The light doesn’t damage the top layers of skin, so you’ll have fewer side effects than with a laser or dermabrasion.
The recovery is fast.
Who is it for:
People choose to undergo this procedure to reduce the signs of aging and to reduce the severity of skin hyperpigmentation, such as freckles, birthmarks, or age spots.
- A pretreatment product regimen may be required
- Avoid Sun exposure for 2 weeks prior
- Avoid Direct Exposure to Sunlight. …
- Stop Exfoliating a Week Before Your Treatment
- Do Not Use Any Tanning Products on Your Skin the day of treatment.
- Avoid Makeup on the Day of the Treatment.
What To Expect During The Treatment:
Your skin care specialist first cleans the area that’s being treated. Then they rub a cool gel onto your skin. Then, they apply light pulses from the IPL device to your skin. During your treatment, you’ll need to wear dark glasses to protect your eyes.
The pulses might sting your skin. Some people liken the feeling to being snapped with a rubber band.
Depending on which part of your body is being treated and how large the area is, the treatment should take 20 to 30 minutes.
To get the results you want, you may need to have three to six treatments. Those treatments should be spaced about one month apart to let your skin heal in between. Hair removal requires 6 to 12 treatments.
Post Treatment Care:
- After treatment you may experience slight tingling, burning, heat. Similar to a mild sunburn.
- Slight swelling may occur.
- Avoid using harsh products such as retinols for 3 days.
- Pigmented areas may begin to darken and flake a few days after treatment. It may appear as though there are “coffee grounds” on the skin. Do not pick on these areas. Use a gentle cleanser and allow the grounds to naturally exfoliate on their own. This process can take 7-10 days!
- Follow up in 14 days with a spot IPL treatment (to retreat any areas needing a second round) and a Diamond Glow or Microderm to mechanically exfoliate any remaining coffee grounds.
What To Expect After Treatment:
You should be able to go right back to your regular activities. The treated area of skin will be red and sensitive for a few hours, as if you got sunburned. Your skin may be slightly swollen, too. Your skin will continue to be sensitive for a couple of days after the procedure. You may need to avoid using hot water on it until your skin heals.
Before & After Photos
“I just LOVE this place!! Trina is amazing and always does a good job!! She makes you feel comfortable and no matter what treatment I have had I always feel like a queen when I leave. Looking forward to having a photo facial done next too.”